Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Racin' Season Be Upon Us: Race Recap(s)

Many moons ago, when Emily and I started this little blog thingy, I figured we’d just talk about what the two of us are up to. But, things have a way of changing, so here goes, a big ole team-wide race recap. And......BEGIN!

On Monday, Emily, Chass, Caitlin, and I took a little drive north to the New Braunfels area for the Labor Day “Whine Run”, a 5 mile race that Em and I won last year. Well not too surprisingly, old Chassy put the hurt on me, but I think we both put out a pretty good effort - him 1st in 25:45, me 2nd in 26:30. This was right as the cold front was still blowing in, so we faced strong, steady winds from the North - conveniently the direction that the uphill 1st mile headed. I haven’t had to work that hard to run a 5:26 mile since I was in high school. We knew it was a hard course going in, and the hills coupled with the wind kind of ruined any benefit the cool, dry weather might have given us. But, I’m not one for excuses, so the times are what they are, and at least we got to run rockin’ sub 5 last miles coming back down the hill.

Start of the Whine 5 Miler

Superstar Rob

Classin' it up with the wine!
Emily and Caitlin got 1st and 3rd in the women’s race, with some random master’s runner taking 2nd. Oh, but wait, that’s no normal master’s runner, it’s a THREE TIME Olympic Trials qualifier - Lori Stich, who was 47th, I believe, at the ‘08 trials in a time of 2:43. So that’s pretty cool, always good to see some elite peeps popping up at local races. Here’s an interview from the Spring of ‘08, where she talks about doing lower mileage with the Hanson’s team in Michigan: low as in 110-120. NICE. http://www.runmichigan.com/interviews/full.php/2008/03/27/lori-stich-hanson-brooks-odp.html

So while this was going on, Miss Liz Eder was off gallivanting around the east coast, hanging out on the Jersey Shore, working on her tan or something. In fact, she refused to leave the beach even to do a race, but it’s all good because she won too. WOOT.
Yep, all on the sand!

So that’s Monday. Then today (Saturday), unless my memory has failed me, we had our first post-collegiate foray into cross country, as Amy headed over to Seguin for a meet at TLU. The competition was pretty solid, with good teams from Texas State and UTSA, but Amy kept the hammer down until she was running solo, and ended up with a nice 20+ second win.
Coming down the home stretch

Congrats to Amy on the XC PR and Win
This week is exciting for 2 reasons: I’m kicking off marathon workouts for the 3 of us who have a date with the San Antonio marathon this November, and this Saturday is our first major race of the season: the Tour Des Fleurs 10k in Dallas, where Chass, Em, Liz, Amy, and myself will be shooting for some cash and sweet road PRs.

No comments:

Post a Comment