Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The marathon countdown continues!

So the past couple weeks have been crazy busy/exciting! Jer and I are days away from the San Antonio Rock n' Roll Marathon! As Jer mentioned in the previous blog post, we've put in great amounts of mileage and tough workouts, compared to what we did last year and now we're simply counting down the days until we're on that starting line!

3 weeks ago we competed in the Houston Half Marathon with the goal of making it somewhat of a marathon simulation. The plan was to run 6ish miles before the race in hopes of getting our legs a little tired and then competing in the half marathon by hitting goal marathon pace. We both had a blast, not to mention negative splitting the second half because of how excited we got. It was good training for taking water in on the run and making sure we don't throw up the GU we tried out as well. It'll be our first time taking GU during the marathon. Last year we  really didn't think about it until it was too late to really try it out, so instead of potentially sabotaging our marathon we relied on water and Cytomax.

Anyways, it was a ton of fun. I got to run with people pretty much the entire way except the last 3 miles, that doesn't happen very often, especially in the longer races. It was also great getting a feel for what goal marathon pace is during a race. Although I did get a little excited and run faster than what I was planning on, I definitely don't see myself getting that carried away during the marathon. I know better : )

Jer and I are in taper mode now and will leave you with some pictures and a little movie from the Houston Half Marathon.


Mr. Daum's Delicious Pasta Dish

Before we even hit the first mile..all smiles : )

Jer roughly half a mile from the finish

That face = maybe a little faster than marathon pace

Self-braiding..it's a gift
Below is added bonus. One of the things I LOVE about Houston/Clear Lake (besides Jer's family of course) is Morning Kolaches! I literally force Jer to go there with me ANY time we're visiting. One time I even persuaded Jer's brothers to pick up a dozen of them before they came to visit us in San Antonio. I have looked everywhere for something that is similar to their mouthwatering Bacon & Cheese Kolache here in San Antonio, but it's hopeless. I will forever rely on this shop, that unfortunately is closed on Sundays, to get my fix. Luckily, we were able to pick some of these bad boys up the morning before the Houston Half on our way to pick up the packets. They are truly a delight! (Yes, I know I'm obsessing over something that is in every possible way bad for you, but averaging ~100 miles a week has put me in a state of mind which is guilt free when it comes to what foods I eat.)

They are not lying here folks..there truly is an explosion of flavor!

These are soft, buttered rolls filled with...

oozing cheese and diced pieces of bacon! 





No comments:

Post a Comment