Thursday, January 26, 2012

It's Nearly Indoor Time!

So in case you couldn't tell from the previous post, I'm pretty excited about our upcoming indoor 3,000m race this Saturday at the University of Houston. It's only going to be the fourth indoor race I've ever done (first for Jer) and the first time I've raced on an indoor track since 2009! Granted I still have yet to race on a banked track, but I'm super pumped.

They put the heat sheets up for the race last night and luckily Amy and I made into the fast heat (out of 3)! 41 girls signed up for this thing. Not bad. Half of our heat is comprised of unattached ladies, with most of them being from Rogue Elite, based out of Austin, along with the top-seeded runner, Betzy Jimenez, who used to run for UT. The collegiate athletes are primarily UT girls, who made it to DI Nationals in cross country this year, along with some Rice girls, which include recent All-American, Becky Wade. Needless to say the field will be STACKED! EEEK! I know there will be amazing times posted  just based on the number of high caliber athletes entered.

Training has also been looking pretty decent. Over the course of the last 12 days I've raced a 5k in 17:24, did an 8-mile steady run at 6:25 pace, did an alternating 400/200 workout where I basically fartleked my way to an 18:25 5k, did a 10-mile progressive run averaging 6:21 pace with the first mile being at 6:58 and the last 5:42, and lastly 10xhill sprints. I've been in the low 80's for mileage too, finally getting to a normal level again despite being sick for an entire week and random little aches before that. Woot.

Fun fact: exactly three years ago to this Saturday I raced the 3000m at the same meet and came in sixth behind a swarm of Rice girls with a 10:04. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of shape I'm in for what is arguably my favorite track distance!

The start list and results can be found HERE for all those interested! Chass and Jer are in the second of three heats for the men's 3,000m.

I leave you with some pictures from my first indoor race...

Start line!

The crazy awesome Rice pack I got to latch onto for most of the race

No comments:

Post a Comment