Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Taper Taper Taper

Hey everybody.  This Sunday is the San Antonio Rock and Roll Marathon.  I'm kind of excited.

I began my training for this race on July 8th, 3 weeks after having set my marathon PR of 2:27:38 at Grandma's Marathon on June 16th.  There were 18 weeks between July 8th and this Sunday's race.  In the previous 17 weeks (prior to this final week of taper), I have run 2,009 miles, or an average of 118 miles per week.

Lots of workouts, lots of miles.  The weather for Sunday looks absolutely terrible, but you know what?  It was terrible last year too.  The only thing I can really do is try to feel out what pace is sustainable on race day, and not go faster than that.  I think I can still lower my PR.  I just have to run under 5:38 per mile for 26.2 consecutive miles.  Piece of cake, right?  Eh.

If, by some miracle, we get a wonderful cold front before Sunday at 7:30am, I will attempt to run the race at under 2:26 pace,  or about 5:33/mile.  If we have awful weather, then it's just about competing with whoever shows up.  Here we go!


No comments:

Post a Comment