Sunday, September 14, 2014

Summer of 2014 and the Beginning of Something Wonderful

So again, Jer and I have been awful about keeping this blog updated on our running lives unfortunately. So I’ll do a quick recap on what we had going on this summer and the new and exciting adventure we’ve got going on.

So late spring/early summer our goal race was the San Diego Rock n’ Roll half. It was just a few days after our three year wedding anniversary and we thought it would be a fun mini getaway. I eventually got my training up into the 80’s with some decent workouts. Since winter didn’t go great, I wasn’t trying to set my sights on an unreasonable goal. We thought 1:20 would be a decent time to shoot for. Unfortunately, I didn’t do much research for San Diego weather and it’s allergens. I’ve been taking allergy meds and getting allergy shots for quite some time for my allergy induced asthma, and unfortunately the shots only work for San Antonio allergies. Needless to say, even with giving it my all from start to finish I could only manage a 1:21:11, a measly 6:11 pace per mile. Jer performed better than me, but still disappointing races to say the least. We sulked for a little bit and then decided to enjoy the rest of our time in San Diego.

Post half, I took a few days off and then I was able to get in some decent summer training in order to not embarrass myself for the few summer races I was able to participate in. 



Jer and I took two big vacations over the summer. The first, to Gunnison Colorado, with a great group of friends. The weather there was absolutely gorgeous and we even got to meet up with my old college coach who was coaching a summer group. We piled six people and three dogs into my Hyndaui Veracruz. Let’s just say it made for a very entertaining road trip!



A little over a week later we went to Hawaii for the first time ever to celebrate my Uncle Joe’s retirement from the Air Force. We had a good time visiting with relatives, however the running there was not super ideal when we were down in Waikiki.

On top of having a few great vacations, we also had some dear friends tie the knot! I got to be matron of honor in my MT's gorgeous wedding!


The other, was Jer's college roommate and our cross country teammate Brad Robinson. He lives out in California now, but they got married right here in San Antonio.

 

In late July our lives were quickly came to a dramatic change when we found out that the head cross country coach at Trinity resigned to take another job up north. I was soon offered the head position at my alma mater. Jer and I were over the moon with this once in a lifetime opportunity. Jer luckily accepted the position as a volunteer assistant coach for the team and I was able to hire a full-time assistant just in time for the season to start. I am so excited to start this wonderful journey, doing what I love, at the institution that I love!



No comments:

Post a Comment