Saturday, February 26, 2011

Race Report: UTSA Diploma Dash

Today, like pretty much any race, had its highs and lows. It seems a little cliche, but let's go with a classic breakdown of pluses and minuses:

Pluses:
1. Both of the peeps I coach (Chass and Emily) won the race.
2. I placed a solid 3rd to two very good local runners, Chass and Jose Munoz, with a pretty solid time (15:47) on a day where not many people were running too fast.
3. Training has been going great, and despite being a little tired going into today's race, I felt like I put out a pretty solid effort.

Minuses:
1. None of us ran very fast.
2. I got beat pretty handily, which is never fun.
3. This race dropped all of their prize money this year, as well as all of the cool gift cards they had last year. Kind of a bummer.
4. The race started half an hour late, and the last 10 minutes of the delay was caused by some woman leading all of us through a warmup routine, complete with squats and turning your head side to side and other assorted nonsense. Ridiculous.

us waiting in the start corral for a long long time...

Personally, I think all of us ran pretty damn well. Sometimes there isn't anything in particular about a road course that makes it slow - no giant hills, or consistent headwinds, or mismeasurement, but it's just SLOW. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of making excuses and predicting what you "could" have run if only the course had been fast, or the competition been better, or whatever else, so I will leave it by saying that I ran well enough, and I'm pretty happy with where the rest of my little group is at, and I'm really excited for the next couple weeks.

What's up next? Well Emily is getting on the track for the shortest race that she has done since 2007, and Chass and I are headed down to the border to Hidalgo for a half marathon relay race, along with our friend (and Austin Half Marathon champion) David Fuentes. Should be a good time, and we will do our very best not to be kidnapped. But if we are we hope someone will pitch in for our ransom!

No comments:

Post a Comment