Monday, June 13, 2011

Holy Crap Our Legs Are Sore!

Ten days without running isn't really that long of a time. I know this. Jer knows this. But our legs beg to differ. From the time that we got back from our honeymoon (and the time we started running again) up until yesterday they have been more sore than I can remember them being since the marathon.

We're not big believers in things like the 10%  rule; when we're ready to start training we pretty much just jump in head first. But this time we paid a hefty price. I was walking around unable to bend my knees for a good couple of days because the pain was nearly unbearable in my quads, hamstrings, calves, and shins. I also had to miss a second run one day and aqua jog instead because the first ten steps felt as if someone was jabbing daggers into every inch of my legs.Thankfully though we survived our days on the pain train and still managed to get in two solid workouts and nearly 60 miles of running in six days time.

Jer and I are back, more focused and determined than ever to accomplish our new set goals for the fall. We're getting up at 5:30-5:45 most mornings to put in a solid amount of mileage before Jer and I need to be at work. I'm also starting to get on the dreadmill treadmill in the early afternoon for my second run to avoid the strong Texas heat. This will open my evenings up even more for core, drills, stretching, etc: the little things that have been all too easy to neglect in the past.

Next race up is the Carrabbas's Half Marathon Relay for me. It's tons of fun and this is the first year I won't have to worry about parking since we live two miles away from the start line!

No comments:

Post a Comment