Monday, June 20, 2011

Oh the Fun of Carrabba's!!

It was time again for the Carrabba's Half Marathon Relay! For a race that is held in mid June in San Antonio it is still an exhilarating race experience. It is by far the most crowded McAllister Park gets any of the 365 days out of the year. The back pavilion is surrounded by eager relay members deciding at the last minute who will run which leg. The strategy behind picking legs is half the fun of the most popular relay race in San Antonio.

This was my fourth year racing it. The first time was sometime back in high school. I honestly have no idea when since I couldn't find results that far back (I have the worst memory). I ran it with a couple younger girls who I'm pretty sure ran faster than I did that day. The next time was years later right before my senior year of college. I raced it with my college teammates and we were hauling! The course was different and we're 99% sure it was shorter than a half marathon. Last year (2010) marked the third year for me. I had the second leg and accidentally ran the first loop instead of the one I was supposed to run because the volunteers didn't realize the second leg of racers were coming through. It wouldn't have been a big deal, except the first loop is the longest one! We still won our division and got a chance to wear our old high school singlets! That brings us back to this year. I got to race with some awesome ladies while sporting Soler's singlets from start to finish. Here's to hoping next year will be just as fun!

If you live in San Antonio and have never raced Carrabba's I would recommend doing it next year. It helps to break up summer training, it's a wonderful experience for people of all ages, and is run on one of the most shaded courses you'll find in San Antonio.
2008 Waterbear Racing- 1:11:34, 1st Open Mixed, 4th Overall

2010 H.S. Masters- Relivin' the Dream 1:17:25, 1st Open Mixed, 7th Overall

2011 Soler's Sports Ringers- 1:22:40, 1st Open Women, 6th Overall

By far my favorite picture of the day
 
The exchange zone which is surrounded by hundreds of anxious runners!

No comments:

Post a Comment